Everyone is familiar with mold. You might be most familiar with it as the stuff that grows on the food you forgot in the back of the refrigerator. But, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), mold is everywhere, and it has been for millions of years. Mold thrives in damp environments. Unfortunately, that means it sometimes grows in wet areas of the home where it can adversely affect your aging relative’s health.
September is Mold Awareness Month, a time to learn more about this icky substance and why it’s important to get rid of it.
Health Effects of Mold
Whether or not mold has a harmful effect on your aging relative depends on whether they are sensitive to it or not. People who have a mold sensitivity may experience symptoms like:
- Stuffy nose.
- Scratchy, irritated throat.
- Irritated eyes.
- Skin rashes.
People with asthma may also have health problems because of mold. Exposure to mold can make asthma symptoms flare up and trigger an asthma attack. Some symptoms of asthma are:
- Difficulty breathing.
- A feeling of tightness in the chest.
Preventing Mold Growth Indoors
Mold grows in damp areas, so the key to preventing it from growing in your aging relative’s home is reducing moisture and ensuring proper air flow. The CDC offers the following tips for prevention:
- Use an air conditioner or dehumidifier to keep moisture levels in the house to 50 percent or below.
- Install exhaust fans in the kitchen and bathroom that carry moisture outside. Also, make sure the clothes dryer vents outside.
- Fix leaks as soon as you notice them.
- If the house floods, clean and dry it within 24-48 hours.
- Use bathroom cleaning products that kill mold.
- Get rid of carpets or rugs that have been soaked if you cannot dry them out. Remove carpeting from wet areas of the home, like the bathroom and basement.
- Keep doors between rooms open to improve air flow.
- Don’t leave wet clothes in the dryer or in a laundry basket.
An home care services provider can assist with mold prevention. Home care services providers can empty the dehumidifier when it gets full. They can also make sure exhaust fans are turned on during cooking and after the older adult takes a bath or shower. Home care services providers can also let family caregivers know if they spot a leak, so it can be fixed promptly.
If you or an aging loved one are considering hiring professional Home Care Services in Hunterdon NJ, please talk to the caring staff at Generations Home Health Care today. Providing Home Care in Somerset, Essex, Union, Morris and Hunterdon Counties. Call us today at (908) 290-0691 or (973) 241-4534.
Latest posts by Susan Myer, RN, BSN, CCRN, CDP (see all)
- Six Precautions to Take When You’re a Long-Distance Caregiver - October 18, 2018
- The Connection between Emotions and Stress for Caregivers - October 3, 2018
- Six Fast Breaks You Can Take as a Caregiver - September 20, 2018